Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"Workout Routine Fail" or "Sitting on the Couch all day is mind-numbing..."

So it turns out the more free time I have, the LESS actual stuff I get done during the day.  That seems so unfair.  The last almost-two-weeks I've been having a SERIOUS blast--visited the beach, best friends visited me.  Also, found the apartment of my DREAMS for next year.  All amazing things.  God loves me.

...But my workout routine pales in comparison.  I'm super bored with it, but haven't come up with anything new yet.  My recent stint of home-gym workouts has made me loathe the gym and all its accoutrement; my love for the scenic jogging trail behind my neighborhood has waned.  I still love yoga--that's never going to change--but my enthusiasm for rising from my slumber at 7 a.m. to salute the sun is less than notable these days.  WTF?  Yesterday I sat on the couch from like 10:45 am until about 7 pm--I only moved for food and snacks...and then to go out eating and drinking with my friends.  I passed up what was sure to be a PHENOMENAL Power Flow class at the little hippie yoga studio (yogagallery.net) to CONTINUE to sit on the couch...right.

The only answer is that doing nothing breeds nothingness.  I resolve that I will once again commence a consistent workout schedule...very soon.  I've created new fitness goals to foster this "return to glory" of sorts:

Goal 1: Some variation of six pack abs--I don't want "the six-pack abs."  As contrary as this may be, I tend to like the idea of some soft spots on my body.  I want a sick body, but not necessarily a hard body, ya know?

Think "Beyonce Abs"

...or Jillian Michaels Abs

But I also HATE, hate, HATE crunches.  I do them ALL wrong, it hurts my neck; they're bad news.  Luckily, my handy-dandy Women's Health Mag had this No-Crunch Abs workout in its most recent issue.  I tried it...once...last week (don't judge).  And my abs were definitely sore that evening, so I think it works.  I'm on my way to goal #1. FTW!

Goal 2:  I want to be between 18-20% body fat.  The lowest I've ever been is 18%.  I'm currently 25%...which is apparently categorized as "acceptable"...whatever that means.  But anyway, a body fat % goal seems better than a weight loss goal--even when they are technically the same thing (side eye).  So there it is--I'd like to lose between 5 and 7 percent of my total body fat.  I suppose this will call for cardio and interval training to "melt" the fat as well as "weight training" (read "yoga") to tone and strengthen.

The dates for these goals are two fold: 1--July 28--just in time for MIAMI!  and 2--LIFE--because I want to look amazing just in general.

...So I'm off the couch and back doing in the iYogi repertoire this a.m.  The Great Salute is calling... then maybe some freestyle, or an old standby--A Fine Balance... who knows.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way; when I have tons of free time I get nothing done!

    ReplyDelete