Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Taste of the "Foodie" Life

I love being inspired! And this week I was inspired by this -->afoodiestaysfit.com and this--->First Camera, Then Fork (also courtesy of Teri at afoodiestaysfit.com).  So today I am giving this foodie-blog-girl thing a try.

This a.m. I vacillated back and forth about trying a yoga class at this hippie yoga center downtown.  But spontaneity is the spice of life, and so I went... And LOVED IT!  More on that later.  But the point is after I was finished with what amounted to a private lesson in vinyasa yoga, I was craving a homemade smoothie.  Problem: I don't have a blender.  Well, I didn't but I immediately ran to Target and found the perfect single-serving blender for a pretty price point! $15.99 FTW!  See pic on right ---------->

Fast forward to me mixing up ingredients in my kitchen and the Blog pops into my head.  And my first "foodie" post was conceived.  So here it is:

"Ingredients"
Frozen fruit: strawberries, mangos, pineapples, Fresh fruit: bananas, Simply Raspberry Lemonade, Vanilla yogurt.


"Finished Product"

This smoothie was DELISH!  Seriously, I will never buy another smoothie out again.  Ok that might be an exaggeration.  But I loved making this at home.  It was simple and simply delicious.  Can't wait to make another one.

So after my yoga class I was also craving a scrumptious lunch.  That reminded me of Teri's blog post about the open-faced roasted-veggie sandwich (in case you missed it above).  Decided to make my own, here's how it goes:

  • roasted veggies: squash, green beans, carrots, red pepper, onion, zucchini tossed in a little olive oil, oven-roasted at 400 for about 30 minutes

  • cream cheese

  • tangy barbecue sauce

  • toasted bagel, halfed, with the center slightly scooped out.

  • shredded parmesan cheese

  • ASSEMBLY: spread cream cheese on inside of scooped out bagle, spoon a little tangy barbecue sauce over the cream cheese, pile high with roasted veggies, sprinkle with shredded parmesan.

  • FEAST



Ok, so does this post make me a foodie?  Doubtful!  Actually, I'm pretty sure it doesn't.  But blogging about food was super fun.

So my day so far has been Delightful.  Went to yoga at The Yoga Gallery where I got instruction on how to improve my practice.  We did a flow-based class on the warrior series of poses and concluded with pigeon pose.  All these poses were about alignment and opening of the hips.  After an hour and a half, lets just say my hips are feeling SUPER open. O_o.    Unfortunately now I have to turn my attention away from all this AWESOME stuff and back to studying. WOMP WOMP WOMP. 

But I see the light at the end of the table-- Graduation is May 16-17, 2010!

5 comments:

  1. I make a really similar smoothie (just a different fruit combination but same yogurt & lemonade) with a single-serving blender that I bought with Westlaw points. :) I may need to make "operation sick bod" a goal of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So had my first MAJOR blogger-fail! Someone posted a comment--which was AWESOME--and I accidently deleted it forever :(--which was an EPIC FAIL. So sorry Katrina, it was unintentional. Thanks for commenting! Single-serve blender-smoothies FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait... false alarm. Comment is still there. YES! Clearly I need more practice with this thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my comment didn't post - so I'll try it again :-)

    Welcome to the blogging world! I love your title by the way. Teri and her blog are awesome - you couldn't have been inspired by a better one. My husband and I make smoothies every morning for breakfast. Homemade smoothies are the best. You can control what goes in them so your body doesn't get anything it doesn't need.

    p.s. sorry if this get's posted twice

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy sandwich... :)

    I've wanted to try The Yoga Gallery for a long time! I actually just went and bought a pass to the Bikram studio but sometime I'll have to check out the hippie studio downtown. :)

    ReplyDelete