Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yin and Anusara...Yoga that is

Seriously, Yoga Home Practice Guide on YogaJournal.com is making my life this week.  I love learning about the different styles of yoga, and the home practice guide is just what I need to keep my life in balance this week. 

"Practice Balance So that Your Life Will be in Balance"--A Yogi


So last night, after studying in the library until about 11:30 pm--maybe later--, I went home and tried "Sweet Surrender."  I thought the name of the sequence was fitting because I wanted a relaxing practice to help calm my thoughts and put me to bed for the evening.  This sequence was PERFECT for that.  Normally when I practice yoga, I'm all about the POWER and the FLOW classes--but at what ended up being 12:30 a.m. I was definitely too tired for that.  But Sweet Surrender is a Yin Yoga sequence.  I'd never heard of or tried Yin before, but after practicing it last night, I am definitely going to incorporate it into my iYogi repertoire.

This practice was all about stillness, calm and meditation.  The guide suggests holding each asana (pose) for 3-5 minutes.  Aside from the physical benefits of remaining in these poses for an extended time, the mental benefits of this practice is what made it super worthwhile:
"Holding poses for three to five minutes often brings up discomfort. Yin conditions you to stay with the intense sensations that arise, rather than quickly moving into the next pose. “It trains you to become more comfortable with discomfort instead of becoming alarmed."
--Andrea Ferretti, Sarah Powers, yogajournal.com
YES!  Learning how to be comfortable with discomfort has been a goal of mine over the last year.  "Feel the feelings"--that's what I say these days.  Who knew yoga could help with that too!  Needless to say I am practicing Sweet Surrender again tonight--regardless of what time I make it to bed.

Also, tomorrow morning I'm going to try "A Fine Balance."  This sequence is from the Anusara Yoga methodology.  "Anusara" means "flowing with Grace" "flowing with nature" "following your heart."  So tomorrow morning--after a short run--I will attempt to "Align with the Divine" through this sequence...and of course I will post about it :)


TOTALLY unrelated: Now Playing: Rude Boy by Rhianna

1 comment:


  1. Hi,
    Thanks for sharing this nice post. I really appreciate your blog. I love reading yoga and fitness blogs.
    I would like to recommand this site
    Best Yoga Trainer in Hyderabad


    ReplyDelete